February 20, 2011

Reyner Banham: Megastructure (1976)


Someone else always has had your thoughts before, always. This was what came to my mind when reading about this book. Modular structures have such a strong affection to me at the moment, that I just cannot resist to read about them all.the.time. Well, they appear everywhere, and once you have begun to think about them, you cannot NOT see them in everything, everywhere.
The finest structures are made out of modules, which means, they are similar or equal, and they are a kind of holistic thing when put together, which means they form a new structure with new functions and new appearance, while still being each one singular for itself. 
What is so compelling to me, is the fact, that they can be extended without any limits. There is no visual, no logical border for their combinations, which is something I like, I cannot tell why. Imagine a modular structure that you build and you keep putting the modules together, and you have always more modules, and you keep building and building and.....
Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment